18 November 2009

Lagi Lagu Senang.


So remember last week, when my email was a little rushed and a tiny bit ruined by some strange ADD adrenaline running through me coupled with a real inability to express myself at all? Yes. Add that to list of Migraine Symptoms, 'cause that all prefaced a major one. Three days out, my head raging against all medicinal help and my body confined to long stretches of sleep. On the plus side, one of those days was spent in a bed at Senopati—a real bed!—so despite the throbbing pain and semi-consciousness, I really couldn't complain. 

Also on the plus sign: Revelation. 

See, I've had about a million headaches since arriving here, a ridiculous more amount than usual and migraines on the upswing. For the first few weeks, I attributed it to stress, but when the day-to-day dullish sort of pain (the kind you get used to and just decide to live through) really never left, I had to wonder. Sister Mongan was convinced it was the sambal, because I'm always ordering my nasi goreng pedas sekali, but I wasn't so sure. The pollution, maybe? The sun? At any rate, I had plenty of time to think about it this time around, and in my more lucid moments this weekend I was led to the light: MSG. It's in everything here. They use it like salt. That had to be it—and so far, I'm pretty sure it was. From that day on (so, like, okay, the last three days) I've been careful to order every dish tak mejin and it's worked! For the first time in nearly three months, no headache. Huzzah. I am cured.

Sorry. That really wasn't the most important thing to launch into and then spend ten minutes discussing when there's plenty more relevant sorts of news to relate. Like: The night before I was assigned to give a talk in Sacrament Meeting, my migraine cleared and I was able to actually prepare the ten minutes of thought on Ephesians 2:19-20 that Mas Gandhi had asked me to deliver. Blessings of the Gos-pel. Even so, by the time I stood up to speak on Sunday, my heart was running like a rabbit. But I admitted it right then and there at the pulpit, and Elder Supriyanto was sitting below me front and center to laugh out loud and then smile wildly like he always does, so I made it through and that was that. Plus, as I took my seat again on the stand, Elder Subandriyo turned full around in his chair from where he presided over the meeting and put up two thumbs while whispering with all the tact of a toddler “BAGUS SEKALI!” And since he is the single most shining reason I have faith in Indonesia, that felt really good. 

To add to the happiness? Indri showed up. Indri, who was all set to leave that very day.  I didn't see her smiling face until I was bearing my testimony, but that made it all the brighter. She was sandwiched between Elder Effi and Elder Allen on the back row, and afterwards pulled all three of us sisters into a big hug and told us she just wasn't ready to leave yet. She postponed her departure until next week, which means we have time enough to meet every single day until she leaves and cover every lesson point we possibly could in Indonesian before she gets in all again in English once she's made it to America. She truly is pure gold, this girl—and her progress has lit a fire in all of us this last week that's leading us onto greater heights.

Sunday night during planning we just decided that this was it; that there was no more time to pussyfoot around the truth, so careful for cultural sensitivity and religious affiliation—if ever there came the chance to bear our testimony, doggoneit, we were going to bear our testimony. Because we're not here just to bring people religion. We're here to bring them to Christ, to Christ through The Only True Church in This Entire World. And even though the prayer call's sounding just outside this little internet corner even as I type, that's not going to change our conviction, nor our dedication. 

And, because dad is right about everything, attitude is everything. This week, all three days of it, has been some sort of fantastic. Family. We've taught six lessons. That's six, as in SIX. In half a week, not one month entirely. We're visiting less actives, we're inviting former investigators to learn again, we're calling contacts from years' past until we get at least one to accept what we have to say. This mission's a seed-planting one for sure; but the glory of it is that even while we're planting seeds in this moment, we can turn back to check up on the small saplings that have begun to grow, nourish them again to grow up in righteousness, plantings of the Lord. It's working wonders. It's mighty miracles. 

Really, I've never ever had any week like it in all my life. We've been walking on sunshine amidst torrents of rain. Every night we drop onto our mattresses exhausted, the Spirit's power so full to overwhelming that it then lulls us to sleep. It's been luar biasa, this, and we're praying to keep it that way. 

Must run, as usual. Today's not actually our P-Day this week (we had another day of service today and we'll be back again tomorrow—the JakSel sisters are working with the Office Elders at a International Welfare convention thingy held at Hotel Gran Melia; we hand out headsets while the Elders translate the keynote speeches for each session. Wah, crazy. I'm determined to be able to do that a year from now) and we're emailing really late and have got to get home because we have an early sleep time tonight since we have to be up super early tomorrow and wow, I'm just rambling on all in one sentence so I'll stop here but I love you! I miss you! More than any silly little mark of exclamation could convey.


assalamu alaikum,
Sister E.


p.s. So rainy season's in full force, which I love, but combined with the too-chilled AC hotel lobby today and the palm trees ripped by wind just outside the wall of window, it literally felt like winter was on its way. Strange, strange shock, to walk back outside for the first time since early morning and find it still humid, hot, and nowhere near snow. I was very tricked by it. And quite miss the Seasons.

p.p.s. Here is an Indonesian word I like: nyong. It's like a term of affection, a title you can use to get a good friend's attention or explain thanks/love—like, “Makasih, nyong” It's got such beautiful sound to it. One of those things I know I won't be able to shake for the rest of my life.

p.p.p.s. The Elders tried to get me to help translate today. Ha, very funny. Except that Elder Supriyanto was totally serious. “Sister! You already know Indonesian! You can do it, I saw you speak on Sunday!” Because those were gospel words, Elder. Not international economics/development/governmental policy. Plus, when I'm put under any kind of pressure I break a little, suddenly stupid. Oh, it's such a long ways to go! Some days I think, Hey! This is such a trick! I'm speaking a foreign language like it's my own! And then other days it's more like Hmm, yes. Indonesian. Doesn't that go something like “Selamat Pagi,” or something? Followed by frustration because I kind of want more than anything to be able to really speak this language I love so I can really communicate with the people I love.

p.p.p.p.s. Shoot. Didn't follow up on Sister Lilis and her family from the photo last week. Next time. If you remind me again. Maaf. (See?! Another fabulous word! I mean, when has maaf never been a part of my life?)

No comments:

Post a Comment

← terima kasih →